Thursday 4 September 2008

Op Shopping for Craft Materials

Hi there everyone, as you all know, I love an afternoon op shopping, looking for interesting bits and pieces for my crafting and yarning habits. I also love to search for vintage patterns. There's something about looking at vintage stuff whilst listening to "Magic 693" on the overhead radio that is very relaxing. I think its because dad always listens to it at home, and also the music takes you to another place in time.

I was disappointed to not find woolen jumpers (what I actually went for LOL) - I use them for either felting or unravelling. The one or two I did find had gross GROSS colours.

Usually, this (jumpers from an opping trip last month)



becomes this . . . (yarn for dyeing and crocheting) . . .



However I did find some other stuff - see below:

Quilt, its nice and thick, in perfect condition, and all hand stitched with perfect tiny stitches (what patience!): paid $8.50 for this (the tissue box is there for size comparison):



Suede hooded long jacket, fully lined, looks like it was never worn (the mark is from the camera flash):





Patterns of simple stuff for me to make - 50 cents each



Jacket in a gorgeous weave, fully lined. Its a size 10 so I either lose weight or make it into a seriously gorgeous handbag.



I also picked up a full set of Lightning McQueen (my daughter's fave DVD) licenced toys for $3.50, and she also managed to find a never-been-used Lightning McQueen back pack (for $3.75). There's some really great puns on it. "RPM . . . Nighttime Backfire Suppressant" and "Re-Volting . . rebuilt alternative" as well as padded pictures of McQueen and Matey. She loves it.

Hope you enjoyed my trip !

Cristina also blogs at Stramenda, homemaking, craft, life!

2 comments:

bec said...

What amazing finds! Love your use of old jumpers, I cut and make toys, but using the wool again is a great idea. And that quilt- I could go for weeks on that find! Were they all from the same shop? Amazing what people get rid of, isn't it? Well done!

Kazza said...

Lovely quilt