Monday 8 September 2008

Guilty shopper

http://trishhunterfinds.blogspot.com/

Is there anything worse than when you're in an op shop, and there isn't a tag on your item?
You always see them sitting on the change room floors, and hear the women complaining about 'respect and honesty these days' because some people pull them off.
And then here I am, a clone of the people they're describing, with a tagless garment. GREAT!
I was tempted to put the dress back because I was so nervous to go up and feel like everyone was thinking 'liar liar liar'
But I got up the guts and went up to the counter.
See, I am paranoid at the best of times. My mind is so creative when it really doesn't need to be, and a lot of times, I tell myself what other people are thinking, whether they're thinking it or not.
It all started when I did the 40 hour famine in like year 8 or 9, and I went door knocking and got a few hundred dollars... sent in all of the money of course, and a few weeks later I went down to Melbourne and bought something new, I think a pair of pants? and one of the ladies who donated, saw me and smiled.
I automatically thought 'oh gosh she thinks I've pocketed the money and bought new clothes'
So now, most opshops I go in, I feel that I look dodgy and because I think that, I try to act not dodgy, which results in me looking dodgy.
Sort of like when you think about how you're walking, and then you don't know how to walk anymore? Yeah.
Anyway, in my attempt to not sound guilty of taking off the tag of the dress, (Which I didn't do) I stumble all over my words and blab in my nervous high pitched planned voice "hi I was just wondering how much this is? It doesn't have a tag but I didn't pull it off"
See? I over compensate to what they assume they're thinking (which in this situation they probably were anyway) which leaves me looking even more guilty.
Sigh.
Anyway, it seemed I just didn't look hard enough and the tag was under a weird bit of the inlay bit. So at least one group of ladies had their trust put back into me haha.
Ugh.
ANYWAY...
Here are my latest buys...




Sweet platforms. I wore them to the toilet and had a slight freak out when I sat down because it was so much lower and thought I'd missed the bowl... Too much information I know, but I thought it was funny.


Geometric (soon to be) mini dress





I realise that in this picture it looks like something a 60 year old lady would buy from one of those older generation boutiques, cross with 90's clubber fabric, but It's actually really classy and nice.


This is one of my favorite items of late... 1970's shirt, massive collar and an amazing pattern, its birds that turn into duplicates that all fit into each other. I've seen this in an artwork I studied in year 12 or something. Love


Not sure if I'm a fan of this dress as the material reminds me of a singlet I had 3 or 4 years ago that I wore to death and now no longer like. But it was too cheap and really is a sweet dress


Yumm


Another 70's shirt


Everyone I've shown this to says "isn't that the same as the one you wore in your couch photo?"
ie:


And no, its very different, this one has a cute gathering at the front with some flower buttons. Where as the other one's feature is lace :)




Pwoah. Massive blog.
Bed time.

PS: DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY PERSONAL BLOG AT

http://trishhunterfinds.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Tanja said...

I like the 70s shirt. It is reminiscent of Escher's work.

Trish Hunter said...

YES! Thats who I was thinking of!
Thankss!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is the coolest shirt, with the birds...
And I like your couch too :o)

Kazza said...

Gee you are prolific and i thought i was good! Where do you keep all these clothes just curious hope you don't mind me asking? I was a teenager in the 70's and wished I was a teenager in the 50's and 60's. I never really much went for the fashion but find it wonderful that my old 70's photos of me now look rather mod. Well done fellow op shopper I admire your savy ability to spot an op shop bargain or two or three or 4 or 5 or 6 I thinks i made my point. Nite from kaz

Trish Hunter said...

Hahahahha it was a big day for me in the opshop realm. I felt rather guilty actually.
I keep all my clothes at home. I have a massive walk in wardrobe that I've filled but I think I'm goign to clear out and have a sale soon.
I just bought two more racks as my other one is crazy full, and I've filled them up already haha.
I like to say I'm queen of utilising space as I lived in a bungalow for 2 years, in the same space as my bedroom now. Don't know how I managed really.
But yes, once the time comes that my walls are filled, I think it'll be time to go up ahha.
I am collecting for when I open my own shop thought which is part the reason I buy so much. Modernise some of them, mend and clean them etc.
I'd love to see some of your photos!! if you're not embarrased you should blog some!!
Niggght!
And thanks for replying!

Kazza said...

Me embarassed never give me an audience and I am right in my element. Tell you what I will blogg some pics shortly which i think you will enjoy a giggle of two. Some pics were taken at fancy dress parties and of course everything i was wearing was from the op shop. I'll try and track down some 70's pics of me but this will take some time to organise. Thanks for your reply to me too it is very encouraging for a first time blogger. Well better scoot off to bed cheerio until next post.

Joanne said...

I LOVE THE GREEN DRESS! I think its great, its funny how one mans trash is anothers treasure!! Well Done

Miss Frugal said...

Hi Ya Trish, just wanted to comment on how great the photo is of you standing in your lounge room i'm assuming. Love the couch and just the whole overall look. Also love the shoes:)

Trish Hunter said...

Yes, I'm slowly beginning to like the green dress. I'll save it for a rainy day!
Thanks for your comment about my loungeroom. My dad HATES the couch. He calls it the yellow peril and thinks it was a giant waste of money when I think it was a bargain.
Every single time he visits, he puts on an act about not being able to get comfortable on it. Tsk tsk.
I paid $123 on ebay, and even though it's the most uncomfortable thing ever, and I'll sweat like crazy on it in summer... it's yellow and oh so rad.
And when you see the price some opshops are charging for couches that are just hideous these days, I shudder to think what they would've put on it. So I feel very lucky!

Gina E. said...

Hi Trish, I'm still grinning after reading your huge post! That was so funny!