Thursday 1 March 2012

What do I do with all my stuff?

One of our members posted a comment on my post last month about all the opshops in Malvern; she (anonymous) wanted to know how I organised all the stuff I buy. I never thought about it really - it's like shopping anywhere, not just opshops. I've seen people come out of places like K Mart and Target, with a trolly full of stuff - where do they put all that? The clothes I buy get washed before putting them in my wardrobe with everything else. Although to have enough space, I have a system of culling my clothes as I buy more. If I buy two skirts, I take two old skirts back to the opshop. The fabrics and craft stuff go with my stash in our spare room where I do all my craft stuff, painting, drawing, sewing, etc. Cupboard is full to overflowing! Books go on the bookshelves, but again I try to get rid of older books that I don't want any more to make room for new ones. My biggest problem is finding space for the knick knacks, like the Russian doll sets that I bought today. I move things around to make space for new bits, and when it gets to the point of no room for any more, I pack them away if I can't bear to part with them! Hope this has answered your question 'Anonymous', and I'd love to hear what our other opshopping bloggers say about finding space for their stuff!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina, thank you so much for responding to my anon post. It is very good of you to share your organising strategy with us all. That is the best things about op shopping it makes the world go around. In with the new finds and out back to the op shop with the old finds that are still new finds to others. I love the wabi sabi of it all. I would love for you to post some pics of your studio/craft room or at lease an explanation. A room of your own must be heaven. Is it a big room in the house? Please tell us more. You are an op shop inspiration and i love reading your posts.

Gina E. said...

Well, thank you for those warm and fuzzies!! I really don't think I'm any different to the other op-bloggers here. Our house isn't very big by today's standards, but because there is only two of us (no kids) we can spread ourselves around as much as we like. Three spare bedrooms are now (a) computer room (b) linen room (c) craft room. The MOTH calls it my end of the house - his end is the lounge room with the big t.v, and all the associated paraphernalia. He also has a big garage which I don't have anything to do with except park my car - lol!

Stella said...

Interesting post. How do I organise? Storage! I have a big linen cupboard and good book cases and a lots of spaces for my clothes. All worthy investments but not full of junk. I also use all of my purchases. But mainly I live within my means - meaning if it doesn't fit, it doesn't come home with me. And one thing in, one thing out. I have stopped being 'clutter' girl. However, I think it is okay to have clothes that you may not wear for even a couple of years as I often come back to them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gina and Stella for an insight into your storage strategies and uses for you op shop finds and treasures. I am an avid scrounger and scavenger. I am always rearranging and moving stuff in and out. I like a bit of clutter around me but it must be organised and useful at least at some time useful. I have my studio and my hubbie has his shed. Nearly everything in his shed is salvaged junk. My studio use to be our main bedroom. We have moved out to the 3rd bedroom to sleep which is at the back of the house. I am going into my own personal space today to rearrange stuff and clear out a bit. My studio has x4 sewing machines, x1 overlocker, x3 typewritters, a guillotine, paints and brushes and craft and fashion books, home decorating magazines and old vintage games table and a two seater sofa. The number of sewing machines may seem a bit over the top but I use them for different projects. I bind my own handmade journals and use one of the sewing machines for sewing paper and cardboard or fabric to same. I like to rearrange my studio before I begin a new project.