Wednesday 2 May 2012

Spending up big at Vinnies, Mitcham

On this dreary, bleak day, I thought I'd pop over to Mitcham and browse through the op shops as way of filling in some time.

First off, ADRA op shop. They're currently having a sale on clothing, but their signage was confusing. Either all clothing is $2, or just some. In any case, the clothes I liked weren't in the right size, so I didn't bother asking for clarification on the pricing. There were some nice pieces there, so I was a bit bummed that they were all made for smaller, shorter women than I. Ah well, you win some, you lose some. (On a side note: Gina - ties are only 50c here!) There was a VERY cute teapot, sugar and creamer set shaped like a striped black & white cat in their window, but I resisted as it was just a wee bit too cutesy for me.

On then to Rotary Clothesline. Absolutely nothing stood out here for me, so off I went.

At my last stop, Vinnies in Whitehorse Road, I found two pieces of clothing - a woolly top on sale for $3 and a pair of David Lawrence cord jeans for $12.

I spotted some glasses in this shop that I really liked. But at $5 and $10 each per glass, I thought "Nope", and just bought the clothing. I walked back to my car, got in, and sat there for a while having an internal conversation with myself...
"Those glasses were really nice. I've never seen ones just like those before."
"They're too expensive. You don't need them and you have nowhere to put them."
"But I can always make room. And this could be an early birthday present to myself."
"Sigh. Why don't you think about them and then come back if you really want them?"
"But the only free time I'll have to come back will be next week, and someone else might have bought them by then."
"Well, OK then, but I'm not happy about this."

So get them I did! And here they are in all their glory. I'll need to give them a good wash and find somewhere to put them, which will probably involve a little bit of a reshuffle of my kitchen.

These firework type ones were $5 each, and there was a set of 6. (So $30 for this set.)


And these leaf type ones were $10 each, and there were 5 there. (So $50 all up.)


So the grand total of purchases from this shop ended up at $95. I'm certain that this is a new record for me!

7 comments:

Yarraville mum said...

Ooooh Frolicking Froggy, I recently did the same thing; bought expensive wine glasses and even had the same conversation with myself! They were $9 each. They were made by 'colony' - not that I know anything about handmade wine glasses - but they look gorgeous, much like these http://www.allthingscrystal.com/milano-noir-crystal-white-wine-glasses-1160.html

Gina E. said...

OMG JESS!!!! They must have seen you coming..that is a lot of money to pay for glasses, no matter how lovely they are - and they are gorgeous. Do you have any idea how much they would have been when they were new?

Gina E. said...

Me again - forgot to say on the previous post - thanks for the tip on the cheap ties, but I've just been given a bag of ties, and my stash is absolutely overflowing, so I'm NOT even looking at ties any more!

I Love To Op Shop said...

Lol at the internal argument! I do that so often!

I do like the glasses though.

FrolickingFroggy said...

Gina - it's all relative - to me, those glasses were worth it... after a brief internal struggle with my "sensible" self! I have no idea what they would have cost new, as they look like they're from the 60s and I wasn't in existence back then! :-)

Yarraville Mum - you paid $9 each for glasses that retail around $40-$50 each? BARGAIN.

mothertheresa said...

LOVE the vintage glasses! You couldn't get glassware as beautiful as that anywhere these days. I bet they're lovely and fine too!

objects of whimsy said...

that sounds like a conversation out of my head!

Glad you got them though they are unusual and methinks you may have regretted leaving them behind