Saturday 23 July 2011

Photography session for opshop article!

Kathryn from City Weekly phoned me around 2 pm and conducted her interview over the phone. After she'd finished she said the photographer was on his way. I arranged a heap of bric brac on the kitchen table - cup and saucer sets, a couple of teapots, various plates and other household items. In the bedroom I laid out half a dozen jackets and kimono type gowns that I've bought in opshops. I didn't bother with day to day clothes like pants and tops, but I did place several pairs of shoes at the foot of the bed. I figured the photographer would select something and ask me to hang it up somewhere.

He arrived right on 3 pm, dragging a heap of photographic equipment up the stairs. I took him into the kitchen where he glanced at the table, then asked if I bought any clothes at opshops. I said yes, and took him into the bedroom. He pounced on my crazy patchwork gown and said "Perfect - put that on!". So I did, then he got me to drape myself across the other clothes on the bed, in various poses. Then he asked me to get a teapot and cup, and he would photograph me in the gown, pouring a cup of tea. I said "Not in the bedroom!", so we went back into the kitchen to do that. In the meantime, the sun had come out, so he wanted to take some pictures outside, and asked me to select a few pieces from the kitchen table to take outside. He took some photos of various items in interesting spots in the garden, then did more of me still in that gown pouring tea!!

I was almost breathless by the time he left about 3.45; he must have taken about 200 photos. I asked if I could see them one day, and he said to speak to the photo editor after the article is published in the mag, and she might supply me with a proof sheet.
It will be interesting to see the mag when it comes out - Kathryn said she would send me a couple of copies. I don't get into town very often, so it is unlikely that I would be able to obtain a copy otherwise. The photographer said there were 8 magazines published by their company, in different areas of Melbourne, and he thought I would be in a local one. My God, I just hope they don't put me on the front cover, draped across the marital bed in my dressing gown, looking orgasmic over my opshop clothes!!! Ken will have a fit, and I'd never live it down with the locals :-O

8 comments:

Aussie Jo said...

What fun!! I hope you will post a photo here.

Anonymous said...

I will be keen to know what they write about op shopping. Please post the article, pretty please. How did the City Weekly 'find you' in the first place? And what is it about op shopping that inspires you? Would love you to post more.

atnumber10 said...

Well done Gina! I pick up the city weekly every thurs. Can't wait to see you in there!!!

B.
Atnumber10.blogspot.com

Lyndel said...

oh wow, cant wait to see you Gina, our very own Pin Up Girl♥

Gina E. said...

Thank you all for your comments! I'll provide a link to the magazine when it comes out - the journo said she would email it to me. Anon, they found me on this blog. You sound like a journo yourself, asking what inspires me! Basically, finding stuff that I can't find in retail stores, and finding it cheap!
Lyndel, don't forget I wasn't the only one they interviewed - I hope the others post something here so we know who they are (I feel so alone, lol)

secondhandrose said...

Fantastic! I am working in the city at the moment and there is someone handing out the City Weekly on my street's corner so I will pick up copies from now on to see the story!
Congratulations Gina, the photo shoot sounds like fun.

Fourth Daughter said...

Just saw this post now... I think I'll be in the article too but have not had a glamorous photo shoot like Gina!! So if you want to see me wearing my op shop glory you'll have to visit me on my personal blog :)

Anonymous said...

Gina, I had a bit of a giggle at your journo comment. I was actually an investigator of sorts and it never leaves you. I try not to give the third degree but I always get caught out. Thanks for sharing as op shopping is a way of life for a lot of us. I like to know the reason(s) why people op shop. I too like the fact that it is cheap and nobody else will be wearing the same outfit or have the same house furnishings. But the main reason for me is to beat The Man - save and get out of debt fast. The money is better in my pocket! And if charity benefits in the process that is a win win for all (except the greedy bank LOL)