Saturday 14 December 2013

 We are having the family over for lunch on Christmas day and so we are going to eat in the room downstairs:  it is a big room which is used for storage, sewing or a spare bedroom when the grandkids come to stay.  I am in the midst of painting it so it looks like a building site at present.  

I need to be sure we have enough room and place settings so I have set the tables up and I have spent some time at op shops picking up some crockery and glassware. Tomorrow I will pack all of this up and clean up the room before the big day.

I am using three folding tables, stronger than the usual card tables, which I bought at the Salvos in Tyabb Rd.  Plates and glasses are from Vinnies, Salvos and the Wilson Rd oppy as well as one in Mount Eliza.  

There are lovely bottle bags to hold the soft drink bottles and a soda syphon (also Salvos).

The table cloths are ones I have collected on my many opping trips over the last couple of years.


Santa hats are also from various oppies.

There is also a punch bowl and glasses and serving dishes from Vinnies.

I would love to know if anyone else is decorating their tables with oppy bargains.  It is more economical than plastic/paper plates etc.  After Christmas I shall donate the pieces I don't want to keep so the cupboards will not be cluttered.

2 comments:

RobynJ said...

That looks lovely. I'm glad I don't need to cater to that scale. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

Gina E. said...

OMG!! I shudder to think of the logistics of dishing up a meal to people at a table that size! There will only be us two at our place, but I'll put a nice cloth on the table and use the dinner set that Ken gave me for my birthday. I can't think of anything from an opshop that I would be using.
But it's a great way to save money on all that cutlery and glassware by getting it at opshops just for the day!