Wednesday 10 November 2010

Savers in Greensborough.

I am a Do Care volunteer, which means I visit socially isolated people who don't have the opportunities to get out and about like most of us. I've just been given a new client (J), who is the same age as me, and is disabled, but still able to walk. She told me on my first visit that she loves going to opshops, but hasn't been able to go to any for years. I offered to take her to Savers, and she was delighted.

Today was The Day, so I picked her up about 10.30 and we got to Savers about 10 minutes later. Well! Did J have a ball! I won't disclose how much she spent, but she got a nice pile of clothes, and because I'm a regular donator to Savers, I have a discount card, so J got 15% discount off her purchases, which made her even happier!

I got a modest pile of goodies - four paperbacks between 1.99 and 3.99 each (I think Savers are a bit pricey with their books), and a wild looking skirt for $6.99!



After an hour or so at Savers, we headed down the road for Vinnies, where I found a leather belt for $4 and two ties - the red one was $4 and the blue one $2.
I'd been looking for a belt for ages, and was so pleased to find one that goes around my waist comfortably! The ties were expensive, but beautiful silk, so I suppose they are worth it, but now do you understand why I keep going back to the BSL in Eltham? Ties are all 75 cents each, and books start at 50c and don't go much higher than $2....


I suggested to J that we visit a different op shop once a month, and she thought that was a super idea! Next month I'll take her to the new Salvos store in Watsonia. It's been there a while, but they have doubled the shop size by purchasing the office next door and knocking down the dividing wall!

8 comments:

Vito Scaletta said...

Good on you for doing something like this... It would have made anyone happy. Thumps up to you

Unknown said...

what better way to share your time with someone who shares your passion; this sounds like a win win deal all round; chapeau!...

Jac said...

That is so lovely of you Gina! I am sure you made J's day!

I agree with you about Savers books being pricey... the Oakleigh Vinnies near where I live is where I like to go get books.. most are 50c - $3 for paperbacks. I've found some great quality books, and alot of new titles (like Oprah book club books) I know it's a bit far from Greensborough way but there are lots of op shops over this way if you ever wanted to take J on a trip over here :)

william said...

I like the way you share your time to her.

Fourth Daughter said...

That's such a great effort, she would have been over the moon! Imagine not being able to get to an op shop for months... shuddering just thinking about it...

Amy C said...

Good on you, Gina E.!
I signed up for Do Care when I was 15, but I was too young. They assigned me someone to visit, but since I was a silly teenager I had no idea how to make conversation! So I only lasted one day.

Diana said...

Where was the Vinnies you went to? I go to the Greensy Savers regularly and would love to expand the op shops I visit in that area.
Kudos to you for sharing the experience through your volunteering.

Gina E. said...

Hi Diana,
The Vinnies shop is in Para Road, almost opposite Leader Newspapers offices. It is in kind of a dip, the driveway goes off to the left and down a sort of ramp to the parking lot and is easy to miss if you don't see the Vinnies sign.