Friday 4 April 2014

Brentford Square Treasures

Hello!  My name is Katie and I am incurably addicted to op shopping, especially when it comes to finding treasures relating to the art of knitting.

Early this week, I had a chance to visit the two op shops in Brentford Square on Canterbury Road: the Doncare Opportunity Shop and This ‘n’ That Community Store, both conveniently located within easy walking distance of each other.  I had previously found a World War II era knitting book in one of these oppies, so I was hoping for great things!

In the Doncare Opportunity Shop, I found a couple of knitting and crochet books that I don’t have - always a nice surprise (especially to my husband, The Chef, who is convinced I already own every old knitting pattern ever printed).


Who doesn’t love a good twinset?  The excessive blurring on that cover photo amuses me greatly.  There are actually some excellent patterns inside, though, which is what it’s all about.

We also ventured into This ‘n’ That Community Store, where I found a set of number 11 knitting needles (the only pair I have is tiiiiiny), a lovely set of long number 9 double-pointed needles and some fantastic pattern books.



How glorious is the Women’s Weekly Bedtime Knits?  I love finding knitting specials or books from magazines, because they actually have the dates on them.  The rest of the time, I have to resort to making guesses based on hairstyles or the currency of the cover price.

As for what’s inside...


What little girl wouldn’t want a crocheted dressing gown?

(I secretly want that crocheted dressing gown.)

And then I found my gem: a Patons Woolcraft book from the 1950s.

 
What is that strange thing stuck to the front cover?  I have no idea.  The passage of time has not been kind to this mystery object, but I think it was a leaf.

Seriously, this book is amazing.  It essentially contains everything you need to know about knitting and crochet, as well as every basic pattern you’ll ever need.  Yes, even undies for babies.



All this for two-and-nine.  Or in my case, 20 cents.  Even if you don’t account for inflation, I’m still ahead!

Next week, I am off to visit a friend in Gippsland, so you just know we’ll be hunting down all of the op shops.  Does anyone have any recommendations between Melbourne and Morwell?  Please leave a comment if you know of any op shops out that way that I simply must visit.

4 comments:

Gina E. said...

I don't knit or crochet, but I really enjoyed your post, Katie! I think you should find a few good opshops between Melbourne and Morwell if you drive slowly along the main street of all the towns you pass through!
I must get over to Brentford Square again; I know those two opshops you mention here, and have found some bargains there in the past. My brother lives about a block from there, maybe I should use a visit to him as an excuse to stop at the oppies on the way!

Anonymous said...

Great finds! I don't knit or crochet but i love looking at the old patterns. (i totally want that dressing gown too! In hot pink!)

Damaria Senne said...

I enjoyed this post and it made me appreciate patterns in a way I never have before.

Katie said...

Gina> Thanks! There will definitely be plenty of detours along the way so I'm hoping to find some lovely country gems.

makebakesister> Be warned, I started out just looking at old pattern books until eventually, an overwhelming urge came over me to start using them to make things.

Damaria> Thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)