Monday 15 April 2013

Tins.

I love tins. I buy them for storing stuff in, or just because they are cute or unusual.  I have many tins stored at the top of the kitchen cupboard.
I bought the two large matching tins below to store coffee and tea in, as they were already printed with Tea and Coffee.  The smaller tins on the right came from Ken's mother's house where they had been long before I came on the scene, so they must be quite old.
I keep sewing cottons and other supplies in tins as well as plastic containers.
This tin used to hold the dried cat food - what else would you put in it after all?
Until I found this at our opshop last week, for 50 cents.  It is quite big, and the MOTH said 'What are you going to do with that?'  I said I didn't know yet, and he said it would be good to store the cat food in, because the round tin wasn't big enough for a whole bag of cat food and it was a nuisance to have half a bag and a full tin of cat food on the shelf.  So the Weet Bix tin now holds the cat food. 
But that's not the end of my story.  Today, we went for a drive up to Warburton, and had a great time looking at all the old shops with their bricabrac.  There were two of these tins in one shop and I asked the lady at the counter for the price.  She told me $20, and I said 'thank you' politely.  I couldn't bear to tell her I'd already got one back in Melbourne for 50 cents!

7 comments:

DIAN said...

Gina, I love those tins and have quite a few too.

deb1611 said...

That's INSANE! It's also disappointing when shops charge such bizarrely inflated prices - I'm less likely to want to poke around there looking for something after the first pricetag I see is just ridiculous. On a side note, I went to the Sacred Heart op shop yesterday and had a lovely time!! I love when oppys are open on Sundays. Are there others?

Gina E. said...

Yes Deb, Savers is open 7 days a week. I think there are others, but I couldn't name them.

deb1611 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
deb1611 said...

Thanks, Gina! They're a bit far from where I live but that's OK when it's a Sunday. Haven't been to one for a while, but it's probably time for a re-visit.

Karen said...

Deb, I agree utter maddness for a weet bix tin and it is not even vintage. I have one and it was a special promo a decade ago. I have seen this tin at a second hand Sunday market at Kongwak near Wonthaggi for $12.00 a couple of years back. No way would I pay $12.00 for it then or now. My hubbie keeps his weet bix in his tin.

Anonymous said...

Love a good kitten tin! :)