Sunday 25 May 2008

Op shopping on the go

Are you ever driving somewhere and suddenly become overwhelmed by the desire to go op shopping? But how do you figure out where the op shops are hidden in that area?

The other week DH and I were in Macleod, shopping at the lovely Strathalan Op Shop. DH turned to me and asked, "Are there any other op shops nearby?"

...
Some time ago I approached Amelia with an idea of having the op shopping list in a different format. The idea was to organise the list by suburbs, instead of by shop names. A seemingly simple idea, but it took quite a long time the way I did it, LOL!
...

I flipped open my op shop list, found Macleod, and pointed DH in the direction of the St Andrew's Op Shop. I must say I was quite taken with this shop (their buttons are organised by colour!) and I was excited to find another, as yet unlisted, op shop just a few doors away. I get very excited when I find op shops to add to the list.

I have been using my suburb-ordered list for some months now and I love it. It goes everywhere with me, and everywhere I go I can find my nearest op shops. The bugs are finally ironed out of it, and Amelia has been kind enough to add the list to the sidebar as a google document. It prints up over about 10 pages, or 5 double sided pages.

I hope others are able to print it out and enjoy it as much as I do.

8 comments:

joyflea said...

That is an awesomely put together list! It will stay in my car from now on. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant resource. Thanks so much. Do you need help filling in blanks? And it just so happens I'm going to Oakleigh today!

Tanja said...

Hey Joyflea, I'm glad you like this format. Yeah, mine travels with me everywhere.

Tui, it'd be great to have more of the blanks filled in. If you have any information for the listed shops or you have found a shop which is not listed, Amelia would love to hear from you (her email address is in the sidebar).

superminx said...

OH I LOVE YOU. That's just what I need in my glovebox!

Tanja said...

LOL! The feeling's mutual, Superminx. Hehehe.

AMCSviatko said...

This also fits into the category of op shopping on the go:

http://need2knit.blogspot.com/2008/05/have-op-shop-will-travel.html

I was in Mebourne this past weekend and found my Treasure Hunters' Guide invaluable. I just wish there was a nationwide resource...

Gina E. said...

Hi Tanja,
I've just printed off a copy of the opshops list you and Amelia have come up with. As the previous posters said - awesome, brilliant, and I love you too!!
I think it's even better than The Treasure Hunter's Guide book, because as good as that is, I find it a bit hard to find my way around in it the way it's laid out in regions, rather than straight out alphabetical in suburbs. Way to go!!

Tanja said...

Gina E - Thanks. *blushes*
I can't believe how awesome this blog is, and Amelia is for running it and creating the list. I'm so glad to have been able to contribute to it.

I think it's better than a book too - it's free, collaborative, and growing constantly. We add shops to the lists just about every week these days.